This Mexican bean salad is such a fast and easy recipe to make. Plus, it’s loaded with flavor and textures galore. Two kinds of beans, juicy corn and tomatoes, crisp peppers, and green onions are tossed in a lime-chili-cumin vinaigrette that’s perfectly light.
Healthy corn and bean salad
This corn and bean salad is ideal for sharing meals and summer picnics and is also perfect for lunch or a meat-free dinner. You don’t even need to turn on your oven. You like this kind of recipe in summer!
Mexican corn and bean salad are healthy, high in fiber and protein, naturally gluten-free, and vegetarian. If you omit the cheese, it accidentally becomes vegan. I am very much in favor of lean salads suitable for bikinis, especially at this time of year. I couldn’t help but eat it.
YIELD: 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
Skinny Mexican Bean Salad with Corn
prep time 5 MINUTES / additional time 3 HOURS / Total time 3 HOURS 5 MINUTE
- one 15.25-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used no-salt-added)
- one 15.25-ounce can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used 50% reduced sodium)
- one 15.25-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed (I used no-salt-added; fresh or frozen corn may be substituted)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- 3/4 cup red bell peppers, diced small
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, diced small (another cheese may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoon agave or honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, pour over salad, and toss to combine.
- Taste salad, check for seasoning balance, and make any necessary flavor adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, vinegar, honey, etc. and add as desired.
- Cover, refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow flavors to marry, and serve chilled.
- Salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days, noting more liquid will collect as time passes.
YIELD:6 SERVING SIZE:1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 460 TOTAL FAT: 15g SATURATED FAT: 4g TRANS FAT: 0g UNSATURATED FAT: 9g CHOLESTEROL: 15mg SODIUM: 1240mg CARBOHYDRATES: 68g FIBER: 14g SUGAR: 20g PROTEIN: 20g