Lentil soup is a lentil soup, it can contain meat and may contain brown, yellow, red, or black lentils, but red lentils are more common because they tend to disintegrate more easily when cooked.
This lentil soup is so easy to prepare with few ingredients and requires only 30 minutes of cooking: first the list of vegetables (onion, carrots, coriander), then the mixture of spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper) and finally the red lentils rinsed with water. Lentil soup may contain vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, celery, parsley, tomatoes, pumpkin, ripe plantain, and onion. The most common aromas are garlic, bay leaf, cumin, olive oil, and vinegar. Sometimes it is topped with croutons, chopped herbs, olive oil, butter, or even yogurt.
There is also an Indian lentil soup that contains a wide variety of aromatic spices. The Middle Eastern version contains lemon juice which reduces the heaviness of the soup and is commonly consumed during the winter season.
MIDDLE EASTERN LENTIL SOUP
yield: 6 prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 30 MINUTES total time: 40 MINUTES
middle eastern lentil soup recipe made easy with simple ingredients, powerful spices, red lentils, and homemade vegetable stock!
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander spice
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp harissa
- First in a soup pot heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and garlic. Let it cook for about 5 min or so.
- Second add your spice mix ( turmeric, cumin, salt, black pepper, coriander) and mix everything.
- Add the red lentils and the hot vegetable stock and put the temp on high. then add the harissa paste or the tomato paste, I like mine hot so I added the harissa.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 30 minutes ( or until the soup thickens ).
- Finally, mix everything with your hand blender and serve hot.
SERVING SIZE: 6
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 207 / TOTAL FAT: 5g / SATURATED FAT: 3g / SODIUM: 217mg / CARBOHYDRATES: 28g FIBER: 14g / SUGAR: 1g / PROTEIN: 12g